Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Let's Do This! 21 Day Sugar Detox Day 1

by Crystal Fedele, AP, DOM

I can't say enough positive things about Diane Sanfilippo's 21 Day Sugar Detox. It's Paleo-friendly, super satisfying and structured for emotional eaters (like me!) 

The plan consists of eating real food and plenty of it. You give up sugar, carbs, gluten, wheat and all other things that might drive your blood sugar up and down and by the end can kick your carb habit and have decreased the inflammation in your body. It is appropriate in different variations for all people with all types of dietary needs. (Pregnant and Breastfeeding Moms too!) 

This isn't my first rodeo, but getting back on the horse can be just as emotionally and physically challenging as being a newbie. 
So I decided to keep myself accountable and share this next 21 days with you. 

Let's start with the most important day of the detox... day 0. I've learned over many years of participating in nutritional resets that the only way to have a successful day 1 is to have a successful day 0. This day is basically spent entirely in 3 places. The kitchen table with cookbooks, (computer, phone on the toilet, wherever you get inspiration) the grocery store and the kitchen.


I wrote and rewrote the meat plan and the grocery list too. It is important I am not planning an overwhelming task load, so I got my husband (aka the meat cooker) in on it too. 

This time I decided to do the whole online program. It includes meal planning and journal pages as well as grocery lists you can print and Audio tracks to help you through each day. I've included the links at the bottom and I highly suggest that you use these tools. There are tons of free resources on the website and Pinterest site as well. I went ahead and prepared all my tools for the whole 21 days so I wouldn't be able to use time as an excuse.


I also roped in a buddy. My co-owner, Dawn, has always been a much healthier eater than I am and, since we both recommend this program to our patients, she was on board. Plus, I felt bad for giving her a bag of organic peanut butter cups last week. 

Day 1:

I'm writing this at the end of a successful day (as long as I don't go back in the kitchen!) I feel pretty good and haven't really faced many cravings. Thanks to the food prep from yesterday and my husband's crock pot creation, plus both Dawn and I bringing things in, there was not a food deficit. This is necessary when following a strict dietary plan as to not feel deprived or caught searching for the wrong things to eat. 
Breakfast: Crustless Quiche (made the night before with carrots and zucchini)
Lunch: Taco salad with Grass fed beef, homemade seasoning and veggies with salsa and avocado
Snacks: Almonds, Pecans, Cabbage Salad (Thanks Dawn!)



It was really awesome feeling healthy and fulfilled all day. It was also awesome to come home to my husband's fridge clean-out stew.


This was really yummy! Chard, Cabbage, Carrots, Celery, Onions, Chicken, Tomatoes and love! ❤️

I'm already thinking about tomorrow and had a little bit of extra energy so I made Diane's Pumpkin Pancakes. Good night!
For more information on the 21 Day Sugar Detox please visit www.BalancedBites.com


No comments:

Post a Comment