Saturday, November 7, 2015

21DSD Day 6 and 12 Foods I can't live without

by Crystal Fedele

As with this whole detox program, planning has become super important. There are no convenience foods, but there are definitely some items I panic a little if I don't have. There is no order here, but I thought I'd share the twelve foods I NEVER let myself run out of.

1. Almond Butter

This is, without a doubt, my favorite food on the yes list. Once you have eliminated sugar, this stuff tastes like ice cream and chocolate. I put it on the Pumpkin Pancakes, slices of apple, and green tipped bananas. I use it in sauces and sometimes just eat it out of the jar. I NEVER run out. (I buy this in bulk.)

2. Eggs

Not only are eggs contained in many Paleo-friendly recipes, eggs can be a hunger-soothing meal in about 5 minutes and go with almost any vegetable. My favorite egg dish is spinach, red pepper, onions and ground turkey scramble.

3. Granny Smith Apples

This is my reward at the end of the day. It's also how I make my green smoothies. No question these are an amazing thing to have on hand.

4. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is the base of most cooking and works amazingly well as a seasoning too. You can't cook veggies or meats without something to put in the pan, so I recommend not running out of this.

5. Baby Spinach

This vegetable is great steamed or mixed in with stews, eggs, etc but is also the easiest to cover up! Therefor, it is a staple green smoothie ingredient

6. Cucumbers

I am in love with the cold noodle cucumber salad and also the cooling effect that cucumbers have on smoothies. It's a wonderful way to add texture to salads and to use even as the bread in tiny sandwiches.

7. Coffee

Anyone who knows me is aware that I can't live without coffee. Strong brewed and organic, of course.

8. Almond Milk

TO PUT IN THE COFFEE!!! Also required for most Paleo baking and smoothies.

9. Limes

Smoothies, salad dressings, water enhancements (LOVE Perrier and lime)and stir fry.

10. Ground Turkey

Quick and easy to cook to make lettuce wrapped tacos or mixed with nutritional yeast to make meatballs or just plain ole' Turkey Burgers. Super satisfying and easy to work with.

11. Chicken Breast

Once you've made chicken it can turn in to so many other things by using it in different formats. One of my favorites is chicken salad lettuce wraps. In my house we just keep chicken cooking daily.

12. Jalapenos

I just think everything tastes better spicy.

Please feel free to comment below on the Paleo foods you can't live without. Have a great weekend!

Cold Cucumber Salad with sesame-lemon-ginger dressing and red pepper flakes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment