Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Small Rant about the Scale (Crystal)

    I tell my patients this all the time... "Check your weight once a week on the same scale. Your weight can fluctuate daily and it is just going to cause more emotional issues if you check it every day."

    This was easy for me to say when I didn't own a scale! I am starting weight loss programs for women and I also do school physicals, so about 3 weeks ago I finally had my office manager/sister go get us a scale for the office. She brings back this fancy weight watchers one that measures your weight perfectly to the ounce! So what do I do? I step on it within minutes. 165.5. What?!? I've been on this cleanse again for 2 weeks and have gained a pound and a half?

The logical woman in my head is going "Ummmm... you know every scale is different."

I don't stop here. I have been stepping on that scale every day ever since. A few days later it read 164.9 and stayed there for a week. Then it was 164.0 for a week. I started to get really upset about this.

When I started the cleanse in January I wasn't doing it for weight loss. I was really trying to get to the root of health problems I was having and weight loss was just a nice side effect. Now that the way I eat is just the way I live my life and not a diet, I really don't have to try too hard to stick with it. I thought that being strict again was going to bring me down to my goal weight pretty quickly. (152 pounds is my goal weight.) I have never even been under 170 as an adult, so already I am feeling pretty good about the way I look and feel, but I am a woman just like any other and of course the emotional reaction was "I eat sooo healthy and excercise all the time. What more can I do?!?!I might as well eat whatever!"

To answer my own question- RELAX!!!! I know that when you make positive changes in your activity and diet this is how it goes.... The first 2 weeks you loose water weight and toxins. The next several weeks your cortisol and blood sugar levels out, you gain lean muscle for a while and THEN you see some weight loss.

So yesterday I stepped on the scale and it was 162.9. "So I'm NOT doomed to be 164 FOREVER?!?!"
It has been 30 days on the candida cleanse. My body finally understands what I am trying to do. Today it was 160.9. I may have to lock that scale somewhere. I know I am doing the right things for my body, so I just need to take my own advice and listen to my inner physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment